10 Secrets To The Perfect Physique
As a fitness professional I am always striving to learn new things. Increasing my knowledge of training/ programing and Nutrition is at the forefront of my thought most of the time. Still though, in my personal fitness jouney there have been some KEY tips and tricks to that have been a mainstay since the beginning of my physical transformation.
In this article, I will outline some of the secrets I used that have made the biggest difference for me in changing my physique over the last 2 years.
1. Meat and nuts breakfast( this approach to breakfast was made popular by renowned strength coach Charles Poliquin)
2. Program design/periodization – this is the idea that you actually plan weeks ahead of time(usually in 8-12 week training blocks) exactly what your mode of training will be like over that time period to achieve your goals. A Super simplified example of this would be :
15 week Mass Gaining Program
Weeks 1-8 – high volume hypertrophy style training(8-15 reps
Week 8- de-load week
Weeks 9-15 – Explosive Strength training(3-6 reps)
3.Keep a food Journal
Writing out exactly what you will consume each day(over the course of 6 meals per day) as part bof a meal plan and executing on that plan consistently and Never missing meals will be the biggest dtermining factor of whether you end up acheiving the physique of your dreams or not
4. Concentrating carbohydrates to the peri-workout Window(pre , intra, and post workout)
5. Using varying rep speed tempos
Example: Bench press
4 sets X 10 reps X 2010 tempo
The first number represent the eccentric(lowering) phase
The second number is the time spent at the bottom of the rep
The third number represents the concentric (raising) motion
And the fourth number is the time spent at the top of the rep
So a 2010 tempo would be, 2 seconds to lower the weight to the chest, 0 seconds pause at the bottom, 1 second to lift the weight and 0 seconds spent in the locked out position
You can go as crazy as u want with this.
Example 2: Squats
3 sets X 6 reps X 6060 tempo
6. Supplementation: These are My Secret Supplements that have made the biggest positive difference in my recovery time, therefore improvement: Magnesium, CoQ10, Fenugreek, CLA, L-glutamine, Creatine, and Cittruline
7. learning to lift and train hard even when I dont feel like it and have 0 motivation
If you can do that then you will get your goals eventually nothing can stop you
8. periods of extreme over reaching – twice a day weight training followed by a de-loading week
example may be something like this:
6 weeks into your hypertrophy phase you increase out put up to 2 a days everyday for weeks 6-8
almost purposefully going into a catabolic state
Then, you follow up with a de-loading week off from training and greatly increase your caloric intake for 5-6 days
9. Keep track of everything
Planned workouts: reps/sets/ weight used/rest periods/rep tempo
Everything that gets measured gets improved
10. Recuperation and recovery
Stretching, Foam Rolling, Yoga, Meditation are all great ways to balance the body mind and soul to ultimately improve your physique and your life in a positive upward spiral!
So, there are just some basics of what have made the hugest improvements in my physique in the last 2 years. I am always learning more but these key things have been a staple since the beginning of making my first real changes.